Organization Description: The Austin Area Chamber of Commerce in Austin, Minnesota, is looking for an Executive Director. The Chamber is a business organization, led by business owners and managers, who design and implement programs to improve the overall business climate. The strength of the Chamber lies in attracting the greatest number of members, thus creating a pool of resources from which ideas, energy and finances can be drawn. We are founded on the principal that "We're Better Together," and work collectively toward common goals that benefit both community and individual members. The Chamber represents nearly 400 members that collectively employ over 10,000 people in all business types and sizes, including retail, manufacturing, trade and service industries, and welcome all to join us. The Austin Area Chamber was incorporated in 1940 and has annual revenues of approximately $550,000. The Chamber’s current Executive Director is retiring after 19 years of dedicated service and has enhanced the Chambers presence and programming. The current team members have many years of tenure either at the Chamber or within the community and the Board feels like we have a strong team that needs a successor to further enhance the Chambers presence and offerings within the community. Austin is the home to Hormel Foods Corporation World Headquarters, a Fortune 500 company. Austin is a wonderful city that is growing and is currently undergoing many changes that are being directed by a grass roots process called Vision 2020. Austin has great public and private school systems as well as a wonderful community college, a Mayo Clinic health care facility and is a wonderful place to raise a family. Austin is conveniently located on the I-90 corridor and is located just 35 miles southwest of Rochester the home of the world famous Mayo Clinic and is also only a short drive to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area.
The Austin Area Chamber’s Mission Statement is: The Chamber works to improve our area’s business climate, thereby enhancing the quality of life of all residents.
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
SUPERVISES: Office Manager/Accountant; Member Relations/Major Events Coordinator and Community Concierge
JOB SUMMARY: The Executive Director is the chief paid executive officer of the Austin Area Chamber of Commerce, and is responsible for the overall operation of the organization. It is the responsibility of the Executive Director to plan, organize and lead all programming.
The Executive Director represents the Chamber and acts as chief spokesperson for the organization. In carrying out his/her duties, the Executive Director must be able to deal effectively with people, communicate clearly and exercise judgement in dealing with problems and people. Tactful approaches and a flexible attitude are essential to maintaining a cohesive and integrated relationship amongst members, committee members, employees, community leaders and the general public all while being fiscally responsible for the organizations assets.
TASKS PERFORMED (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):
• Manage day to day operations of the business, including the oversight of staff
• Works with the Office Manager/Accountant and the Board of Directors in developing the annual budget and maintaining control over financial resources
• Makes monthly financial and business activity reports to the Board of Directors
• Develops annual Program of Work under the guidance of the Board of Directors and carries out all Board initiatives.
• Coordinates public relations and marketing efforts that inform the public and members of the Chamber programs, services, policies
• Serves as chief spokesperson for the organization
• Sells memberships and works on ongoing member retention programs
• Attends all Chamber events, unless otherwise specified
• Attends all Ambassador Ribbon Cutting ceremonies
• Works directly with the following Committees:
o Board of Directors o Executive Committee
o Chamber Ambassadors o Ambassador Executive Committee
o 100 Club
o Freedom Fest
o Community Receptionist
o Government Affairs
o Business Leadership Committee
o Human Resources
o Christmas in the City
o Mower County CEO
o Leadership Austin
o Various Task Forces
• Provides administrative support for committees, develops agendas (with assistance of committee chair), writes committee minutes
• Writes and assembles monthly newsletter, news releases and columns
• Schedules and hosts weekly radio show
• Responsible for membership sales and retention. Personally visit existing members on a regular basis, advising them of Chamber
programs and services as well as seeking their input as to the programs and services that would help them and the Chamber
succeed • Assist other staff members as needed
• Education - Bachelor’s Degree
• Recent experience as a top executive of a comparable organization, preferable a non-profit with a proven track record of success
with preference given to those with previous Chamber experience although it’s not required.
• Ability to maintain a separation of personal public and political positions from, and able to ensure they do not interfere with or
undermine, the priorities of the organization.
• Flexibility in work schedule to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays as needed to attend events/meetings.
• Ability to manage and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in an organized and timely manner as well as speak to individuals at all
levels within an organization.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Display proven leadership characteristics (Organization, Negotiation, and Diplomacy).
• Proficiency in the use of Internet, Social Media and Microsoft Office tools (Word, Access, Excel & PowerPoint)
Resumes will be accepted until September 20, 2018 with candidate screening and interviews being conducted in October 2018 with an anticipated start date of November or December 2018.
A competitive salary will be afforded the professional possessing the required character and skills. The package will be competitive with customary benefits including relocation assistance. The Chamber will pay usual and customary fees associated with interviewing.
Interested professional should submit cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: William J. Budion, CCM; President at firstname.lastname@example.org Or Via US Mail to: Austin Area Chamber of Commerce Attn: Executive Director Search Committee 329 North Main Street, Suite 102 Austin, Minnesota 55912 NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE